Our Purpose

Our goal is to provide a spot for tested, successful, and meaningful activities for practical teachers to utilize. Look for these regular features in addition to weekly blog posts: Tech. Tip Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday (quote or picture with no additional narrative), Doodad Day (reviews of items we use in the classroom).


Friday, June 28, 2013

3 - 2 - 1 - PIN!

I LOVE Pinterest!  It's not because I lack resources or even ideas - I simply like to browse and get "Pinspired".  One of the latest pins that caught my attention was: If you separate your bananas, they will ripen slower.  I thought, "Oh cool.  I need this!  I'll do it."  Well folks, Pin-Failure was out there before this anecdote, and for good reason.  I think the bananas actually ripened faster! I tell this little story to remind us of how important it is to pass along the TRIED and TRUE, not solely the interesting.

So, here are 3 ideas I got from Pinterest that made the most difference in my classroom.  No matter where or what you teach K-12+, I think they are relevant for teachers.  They certainly made a great impact in my classroom.

1.  Hands down my most-often bragged about pin: 
In an entire school year, I had exactly 4 papers without names on them.  I placed this sign and 5 highlighters next to the bin the students turn in their completed work.  Oh, the joy of sitting down to review/grade papers and know who turned in each one!  No exaggeration - my favorite pin of the year.

2.  My first year of trying anchor charts, inspired by Pinterest. 
If you'd like to follow or browse anchor charts, I recommend searching for Jennifer Jones.  No matter your subject or grade-level, these little displays have a powerful part to play.  They can be outlined ahead of time, but the bigger influence come from those created by the students.  It then remains on display as part of my focus wall.  I most often used these when introducing a new skill or topic.  Another benefit: I am not a great artist by any means, but I can recreate a liking to a picture I see - so try it out.  Go to Google, search images, and enter "anchor chart" and your subject area or skill strand.

3.  Hear that?  It's an entire class tossing dice - and its almost quiet!

I had purchased the expensive Dice Domes prior to seeing this pin.  I could have saved a lot of money and frustration.  The Dice Domes don't keep their lid on very well, and we know what tough shakers kids can be.  Not only is the small container cheaper; it is quieter, stackable, and tougher.  No more dice 'accidentally' flying across the room.

Of course there are more pins that I have implemented.  I may post more later.  These three are the ones that made me glad I started my own school board to pin onto.  If these made a difference in your life, or if you have another to add to my list - please SHARE!

~Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment