Our Purpose

Our goal is to provide a spot for tested, successful, and meaningful activities for practical teachers to utilize. Look for these regular features in addition to weekly blog posts: Tech. Tip Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday (quote or picture with no additional narrative), Doodad Day (reviews of items we use in the classroom).


Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Laminating at Home

Ah...I love the smell of lamination in the morning!  Yesterday, I had an oversize poster to laminate, and as soon as I stepped in the Teacher Store, I knew the laminator was hot and ready. Seriously love that smell.  At my school, only two adults are allowed to work our laminating machine. We joke about needing a special security clearance and a correspondence course mimeograph.  So, I save the laminating at school for larger items only.  At home, I have a Scotch TL901 laminator.  It has been serving me about a year without technical problems, but I have learned a few things along the way. 

Yes, I'm one of those people who read the small print in the owner's guide.  Insert the closed end of the "pouch" first.  I have never had a paper jam, this is likely the reason.  And yes, if you aren't pleased with the seal or you have a bubble, you CAN run something through twice. 

My laminator has 2 settings: 3 mil and 5+ mil.  From observation, I have learned the 5+ takes longer to heat up to "ready".  Inference is it's hotter?  And the 3 mil feed is a bit quicker.  For most things I use the 3 mil, but if I have anything on card stock I use the 5+ mil setting.

For Concentration game cards, it has been necessary to print onto card stock, so you can't see through the paper when face down.  I learned this one slowly.  I'm embarrassed to admit I was cutting out the cards and laying them onto card stock, then laminating.  HA ha!! 

Wipe-off cards can be made easily with the laminator.  I print with black ink onto colored paper (save that color ink!) and recommend black Expo dry-erase markers for the best erase.

If you must cut out shapes or cards from the laminate, cut approximately 1/8" away from the laminate seal on the side of the shape.  It will stay "sealed" for durability. I have found that really sharp scissors work best.  If those aren't available, a Scotch-brand gift wrap cutter works well too.

In my experience, the worthy 8.5x11 pouches are never at bargain basement prices.  I've used several brands without noticing a difference, but have always purchased from a store with office supplies (yes, even Walgreens).

We'd love to hear from you!  Any other tips or ideas for using the laminator?

~A

No comments:

Post a Comment